I'm still trying to make this a thing. I was 2-1-1 last week with a Louisville push, WVU failing to cover that monster spread, and Ole Miss and Maryland coming through for me. Week 4 is a bit of a rough slate, but we'll charge ahead anyway. This week I'm also adding in my thoughts on Auburn's line, plus the "game I wouldn't touch with a 39.5 foot pole". Home teams in CAPS, picks in bold.
- Cincinnati (-22.5) over MIAMI UNIVERSITY: Cincinnati burned me earlier this year with their sorrowful performance against Illinois, but that was a morning kickoff on the road. Plus they lose their starting QB to a devastating injury during that game. With my extensive experience with Tuberville, I should have seen that one coming. This one is at 4 PM local time. I think the Bearcats cover this big number just fine. If Miami is terrible enough to get stomped by Kentucky, I don't think they can compete with the Bearcats even with Munchie Legaux out for the year.
- SYRACUSE (-14.5) over Tulane: It's tough to get a read on this Syracuse team yet. They've lost two very close games and paved Wagner. I'm basically hoping that people are too high on Tulane after they beat LA Tech in Ruston. I almost went with Mississippi State laying the 14 vs Troy, but I'll go with this one.
- Oregon State (-11) over SAN DIEGO STATE: I guess the thought here is that the Aztecs will keep it close at home. Something they didn't do against EASTERN ILLINOIS. I know Oregon State has struggled on defense and lost to Eastern Washington, but they've bounced back with two straight wins. I think they win this one comfortably
- Arkansas State (-4) over MEMPHIS: LOCK OF THE WEEK. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why Arkansas State should be only a 4 point favorite just because this is on the road. The atmosphere will be closer to 50/50 in the Liberty Bowl. Memphis's offense has been awful to this point, and I don't expect their defense to keep it close enough.
Auburn pick of the week:
- Auburn (+17) over LSU: Call me a homer, but I think Auburn keeps this close. I'm not predicting a win just yet, but Auburn should move the ball enough to keep this a game for at least 3 quarters. I just have to remember, there's a reason I never bet on Auburn.
- TEXAS (-4.5) over Kansas State: One team lost to an FCS team, while the other has been taken out behind the woodshed by powerhouse programs like BYU and Ole Miss. I have no idea what happens in this one. Texas is giving up a ton on the ground, but that's been to misdirection teams. Kansas State isn't much for misdirection. If that wasn't enough, the line has been dropping like a rock as everybody starts shoveling dirt on the Horns. However, gun to my head, I'd pick Kansas State and the points just in case.