Gus Malzahn released his first official depth chart of the season Wednesday, four days before the Tigers' opener against Washington State. We posted our projections Monday, so let's see how accurate those picks were. Our reaction is below the list.
Sammie Coates OR
Jeff Whitaker OR
- Even though Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne are on "equal footing" in the coaches' eyes, Mason gets the No. 1 status at running back without the "OR" attached to his name. That's likely because of his effort last season once the season was already down the tubes. Good on ya, Tre.
- Jeremy Johnson is redshirting, but he's still listed on the depth chart. That wasn't necessary, but Johnson impressed in fall camp and deserved to get his name on there.
- Nice to see Ricardo Louis and Sammie Coates on the No. 1 line at receiver. They've reportedly been good in practice, and they're probably Auburn's best receivers right now in terms of raw talent. Here's hoping one of them step up and become a go-to target.
- The offensive line is pretty much what we were expecting. Went out on a limb and listed Avery Young as a starter at guard over Alex Kozan, but Kozan's just been that good. And if Patrick Miller beat out Young, who is 100 percent healthy, for a starting tackle job, he must be greatly improved over last season.
- A lot of names on the defensive line, but anyone thinking about the future is just looking at three. It's only a matter of time before Carl Lawson, Elijah Daniel and Montravius Adams are running the show in the trenches.
- Jake Holland of Auburn football present, please be better than Jake Holland of Auburn football past.
- That secondary is awfully thin. Why Malzahn would risk injury to Chris Davis, Auburn's best corner, by making him the primary punt returner is a bit of a head scratcher.
- In roughly two weeks, Kiehl Frazier has gone from an afterthought at quarterback to second-string boundary safety. It's partially due to depth at the position, but that's awesome.
- So much speed on kick returns. So much speed.
- Jake Lembke is the starting long snapper! He'll be a difference maker at that position!
More from College and Magnolia:
- Auburn football: More videos to get you ready for the season
- College football TV schedule: Week 1 viewing guide
- The Plainsman's Kitchen: Jalapeno poppers
- First glance, Auburn vs. Washington State: Preview, TV schedule, odds, key players and more
- Auburn vs. Washington State: Highlights from Gus Malzahn's Tuesday press conference