Get ready, whether you like it or not Texas A&M is SEC bound starting next summer. They bring with them a storied past, and a bright future. So, just who are these Aggies, and what do we need to know about them?
Texas A&M is one of a select few academic institutions in the nation, to hold triple federal designations as a Land-Grant, Sea-Grant and Space-Grant university. Located in College Station, Texas A&M is the oldest public university in the state of Texas.
The Aggies have the sixth largest enrollment in the country, which should make their home games at Kyle Field entertaining.
Football game traditions run deep in this great college town, there are two that are key. One is known as yell practice, described here..
Yell Practice – Midnight rally on eve
of football games – held at Kyle Field
for home games, and at announced
sites for games away from campus – to
underscore school spirit and rehearse
"yells" (Aggies yell; they don’t cheer)
The other known as the 12th Man, has origins that date back to 1922...
When the game ended, E. King Gill was the only man left standing on the sidelines for the Aggies. Gill later said, "I wish I could say that I went in and ran for the winning touchdown, but I did not. I simply stood by in case my team needed me."
You can check out the entire story HERE.
Texas A&M has a history of Championships, and look to add to their achievements while joining the SEC in July of 2012. Here is a list of some of their athletic accomplishments...
- Men's Outdoor Track & Field - National Champions, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Women's Outdoor Track & Field - National Champions, 2011, 2010, 2009
- Women's Basketball - National Champions, 2011
- Men's Tennis Doubles - National Champions, 2011
- Equestrian - Western Team National Champions, 2011, 2010, 2009; seven others since 1999
- Men's Indoor Tennis Doubles - National Champions, 2010
- Men's Golf - National Champions, 2009
- NACDA Director's Cup - nationally ranked #6 in 2010, #13 in 2009, #12 in 2008
- 20 Varsity sports teams, 30 club teams
- One of the largest intramurals programs in the country
We are on the brink of adding a 14th member into the SEC, so while we aren't 100% sure at this point, let's welcome our newest member, and wish them the best against our rivals!