Auburn 4, UAB 0
Auburn's home opener was all they hoped it could be. A Casie Ramsier brace* was bookended by penalty kicks as Auburn cruised to a 4-0 victory. Auburn peppered UAB keeper Kelsey Daugherty with 20 shots (5 on goal). Sarah Le Beau picked up her 3rd clean sheet to start the season. She needed only one save before being subbed off in favor of last year's first-choice keeper Alyse Scott.
- Brooke Ramsier (2nd of the year), 29th minute (penalty): Kala Faulkner launched a free kick from the Auburn side of midfield all the way into the box, nearly scoring on the bounce. When the ball bounced, an Auburn player** was clobbered to the ground, earning a penalty. Ramsier hammered it top center to get Auburn on the board
- Casie Ramsier (1), 39th minute: Samantha Solaru took stock of UAB's defense from the left side of midfield, then promptly raced past the Blazer midfield and into the box. Casie Ramsier made a nice near post run and flicked Solaru's cross into the right side of the net for her first goal of the season. Solaru's run really showed the difference in depth and athleticism between Auburn and UAB. The Blazers seemed to be running in molasses as Solaru ran through unimpeded.
- Casie Ramsier (2), 69th minute: Courtney Schell's headed pass found Ramsier between two defenders. Ramsier split them and raced in to put her second goal of the game past Daugherty.
- Kala Faulkner (1), 90th minute (penalty): A UAB handball in the box earned Auburn another penalty. With the Ramsier sisters on the bench, Auburn's defensive leader took the opportunity to notch the third goal of her career with a well taken penalty into the bottom corner.
Auburn 2, Furman 0
Auburn took the lead in the 9th minute, then hung on until Casie Ramsier put the game away in the 68th minute with her third goal of the season. Hannah Alspach and Ellie Leek featured in both goals as Auburn picked up a nice win over a solid group from Greenville. Auburn managed 32 shots, with 10 of them forcing a save attempt from the Furman keeper. Sarah Le Beau needed to make just one save for her fourth clean sheet in as many starts.
- Hannah Alspach (1st of the season), 9th minute: Ellie Leek fed Alspach racing down the left wing. Alspach fired a shot (or possibly a cross to be honest) from outside the box. Furman keeper Rose Hill tried to come out and stop it before it could find a Tiger at the back post, but the ball slipped through her hands and right into the net.
- Casie Ramsier (3), 68th minute: Alspach fed Leek, who put a perfect one-touch through ball behind the Purple Paladin backline to a wide open Ramsier. Casie beat backup goalkeeper Maggie Grisell off the dribble and easily slotted home her third goal of the weekend.
Auburn had zero injuries, 6 goals scored, no goals allowed, nearly 1400 fans in attendance, and two wins. You can't have a better home opener than that. Auburn even got a bump in the rankings:
Auburn is in great shape going into two more home games this weekend against Samford and Old Dominion. A preview hopefully coming on Friday, if you can find it through all of the Louisville preview.
*-"brace" is two goals in one game, for the uninitiated. In all fairness, I had to look it up about a year ago.
**-The replay never really showed who it was. The play-by-play sheet leaves it a mystery.