Leading up to A-Day the common thought was Auburn would get a lot of good talent on campus but probably wouldn’t land any commitments. The two most likely targets to commit, 4* CB Jalyn Armour-Davis and 3* ATH Richard Jibunor, couldn’t make the trip because of the ACT. No other likely commits seemed to be on the horizon. Then on Friday, Auburn landed Florida State graduate transfer Wilson Bell. The next morning, before A-Day, 3* OG Kameron Stutts announced his commitment to the Tigers. Finally, after the game Saturday, 3* ATH Kolbi Fuqua decided to pull the trigger as well after being impressed, like many of us were, by Auburn’s explosive offense.
So much for waiting on commitments…
The biggest of the announcements has to be Wilson Bell. Herb Hand specifically mentioned LG being the biggest remaining question mark up front as we head into the summer and now Auburn will welcome a very experienced and talented guard to the team this fall. He’s a guy that could end up being an important piece that helps stabilize a work in progress offensive line. Add in Jacksonville State transfer Casey Dunn and 5* OT Calvin Ashley and you have to think Auburn will find a solid 5 to trot out there in September.
As for the high school commits, it’s not a big surprise either one committed to Auburn but it was a bit of a surprise they announced this past weekend. Neither one of them are very highly rated but the fact the staff took their commitments so early shows they think both are high caliber players. I tend to agree, specifically Kameron Stutts who I think is one of the best guards in the southeast.
The commitments were the big news of the day but there was plenty more happening on the Plains this past Saturday. The Tigers welcomed a large amount of talent on campus for A-Day. Below is a list of visitors that made it Saturday compiled from other sites and Twitter:
- 5* WR Justyn Ross
- 4* QB Joey Gatewood (AU Commit)
- 4* WR Matthew Hill
- 4* S Myles Mason
- 4* DT Coynis Miller
- 4* RB Asa Martin
- 4* RB Harold Joiner
- 4* OT Dylan Wonnum
- 4* OG Jalil Irvin (AU Commit)
- 3* S Jamien Sherwood
- 3* WR Anthony Schwartz
- 3* CB Jaycee Horn
- 3* OL Kameron Stutts (AU Commit)
- 3* WR Kolbi Fuqua (AU Commit)
- 3* OL Jerome Carvin
- 3* DE Caleb Tannor
- 3* ATH Cameron Taylor
- 3* DE Kelvin Stokes
- 2019 4* OG Clay Webb
- 2019 4* OT Pierce Quick
- 2019 4* LB King Mwikuta
- 2019 4* LB Ja'Len Sims
- 2019 RB Tony Amerson
- 2019 DE Brandon Mack
- 2019 RB Tyler Goodson
- 2019 OL Avery Winsett
- 2019 LB Jamie Pettway
- 2019 DE Brandon Mack
- 2020 ATH Quitman Kincaid
- 2022 QB Caleb Nix → Bo Nix little brother
I will start with the bad news first. The two top 50 prospects I highlighted last week as being important visitors, 4* OG Trey Hill and 4* LB JJ Peterson, did not make the trip. Hill chose to go to Clemson’s spring game over Auburn’s while it’s unclear why Peterson did not make the trip. There were three other important no shows as well. 4* ATH Nathaniel Watson was in Starkville while 4* S Quindarious Monday elected to go to Florida State. Finally, 4* DE Brenton Cox appeared to not make any visits this past weekend. I am not too worried about Watson and Monday going elsewhere, both have AU as leaders, but Auburn has ground to make up on the other three and didn’t close that gap any this weekend. The good news is Auburn’s big recruiting event is still to come in Big Cat Weekend and the Auburn coaching staff will work hard to get these guys on campus then.
As for the good news, the majority of Auburn’s top instate targets made it to campus. 5* WR Justyn Ross, 4* DT Coynis Miller, 4* S Myles Mason, 4* RB Harold Joiner and 4* RB Asa Martin are all near if not at the top of Auburn’s want list for their specific position. Also, Auburn QB commit Joey Gatewood made the trip and apparently spent most of his time in the ear of Ross trying to help recruit the big time wideout to Auburn. Having a big time QB already committed is usually a big help on the recruiting trail and Gatewood appears to be embracing the role as leader of this class.
Gatewood wasn’t the only Auburn commit working on targets. 4* OG Jalil Irvin was on campus visiting with his close friend 4* OT Dylan Wonnum who has emerged as a top target for Auburn as well. The two are really close friends and Irvin wants his buddy to be blocking next to him in orange and blue in the future. It sounds like there is still plenty of work to do but having Irvin in our corner should really help the Tigers in their pursuit of the outstanding tackle.
Finally, I wanted to hit on some 2019 guys. The two big names were 4* OG Clay Webb and 4* OT Pierce Quick. Most assume 4* QB Bo Nix will land at Auburn next year and Quick will land at Alabama. Quick even admitted he grew up a Bama fan and that the Tide had the lead until this weekend though I suspect they move back ahead after their spring game. That means the big 2019 battle will most likely end up being over Webb who could end up being the top rated OL in the country. He will at least be in the conversation. Signing day is still a very long ways away for him but Auburn and Alabama are already spending a lot of time recruiting the stud guard.
More offers went out this week with almost half going to kids that are currently freshmen in high school. Recruiting starts early...
- 3* DE Jordan Davis (Bama Commit) - Davis is seeing his stock rise fast after strong performances at camps this spring. He has a big frame at 6’5" 225 lbs and is a talented pass rusher. As of now, he appears pretty firm to the Tide.
- 3* S Jamien Sherwood - More DB targets are starting to emerge. Sherwood was on campus for A-Day after earning an offer this week and says his interest in Auburn is "beyond high" after the visit.
- 3* WR Shedrick Jackson - Bo Jackson’s nephew has finally landed an offer from Auburn. The 6’1" 195 lb Hoover wideout is a burner with decent size. He has had some impressive outings at camps this spring and apparently, the Tigers staff has seen enough to finally extend and offer.
- CB Kendrick Torain Jr - This kid won’t stay unrated for long. He could end up at WR or CB but I believe the Tigers are recruiting him as a DB. I am always a fan of 6’2" corners that can run.
- 2019 5* WR Jadon Haselwood (UGA Commit) - The Dawgs are already building a big time 2019 class and one of the center points of that class is Haselwood. He needs to add some weight but this kid has everything else you would want in a wideout. Seems solid to Georgia but NSD for 2019 is very far away.
- 2020 QB Drew Pyne - Some of the top players of the 2020 class are emerging. Pyne is an elite QB out of Connecticut who already holds 12 offers from some of the top programs like Alabama, Florida State and now Auburn.
- 2020 ATH Quitman Kincaid - It appears the Tigers are the first to offer Kincaid. A quick glance at his highlights shows you why the Tigers jumped on him early. He plays DB currently for his high school team but probably will grow into a LB.
- 2020 WR Porter Rooks - Rooks is another national recruit already as a freshman. When the first 2020 rankings are released down the road I suspect this kid will be a top 100 possibly top 50 prospect.
- Former Saint’s star Joe Horn’s son, 3* CB Jaycee Horn, visited for A-Day and included Auburn in his top 7 that he put out this week.
- Things have gotten interesting with 4* WR Jacob Copeland. After not having a great visit to Clemson this past Saturday, he dropped them from his top group and tweeted out a SEC heavy top 5 with Auburn in the mix. He also said after stopping by Auburn Sunday that the Tigers and Gators are his top 2 right now.
- Clemson visit went much better for 5* WR Justyn Ross and the knock off Tigers have become a threat to land the state’s top player.
- Keith Niebuhr at 247 put together a very helpful recruiting snapshot that outlines where things stand right now for Auburn and who the top targets are at each position. Check it out.