Auburn dipped into SEC play this past weekend, making the trip down to Baton Rouge to battle 8th-ranked LSU for the first conference series of the season. The Bayou Bengals swept Auburn in three games by three total runs, winning 3-2 in 14 innings on Friday, 3-2 on Saturday, and 1-0 on Sunday.
It was a tough weekend opening with such a solid opponent, but at least Auburn understands where they are compared to a similar team in the conference. Home field advantage was likely a factor for LSU in winning all three games, and if the series was played in Auburn, the outcome could’ve very likely been reversed.
On Friday night, Auburn and LSU battled through eight scoreless innings after Auburn tied the game at 2-2 in the fifth on Casey McCrackin’s first home run of the season. Finally, LSU put runners on the corners in the 14th inning and Becca Shulte’s RBI single ended a game that lasted more than four hours.
Saturday was just as frustrating, with a controversial obstruction call deciding the outcome in walkoff fashion. Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the seventh, LSU’s Aaliyah Andrews headed home and Courtney Shea was called for obstruction of the plate, giving LSU the win and the series. This came after Tannon Snow doubled in the top of the seventh to tie the game with two outs.
On Sunday, Auburn lost again, 1-0, with Makayla Martin throwing a gem, but falling in the end as Carly Hoover was too dominant in the circle for LSU. LSU scored the game’s only run in the bottom of the sixth inning to provide the winning margin.
Yesterday, though, Auburn made a stop in Hattiesburg for a doubleheader with Southern Miss, which the Tigers easily took 9-2 and 5-0. Now, the Tigers return home for a series with Alabama this weekend with their record sitting at 25-5, but 0-3 in SEC play.
Here are your stat leaders after the first SEC series of the season:
- BATTING AVERAGE - Victoria Draper - .507
- HITS - Victoria Draper - 36
- RUNS - Victoria Draper - 30
- DOUBLES - Alyssa Rivera/Justus Perry - 8
- TRIPLES - Taylon Snow - 3
- HOME RUNS - Kendall Veach - 5
- WALKS - Victoria Draper/Morgan Podany - 20
- STOLEN BASES - Victoria Draper - 31 (just two off the Auburn record)
And your pitching leaders as well:
- WINS - Kaylee Carlson - 11
- COMPLETE GAMES - Kaylee Carlson/Makayla Martin - 4
- ERA - Kaylee Carlson - 0.61
- STRIKEOUTS - Kaylee Carlson - 69
- OPPONENT BATTING AVERAGE - Makayla Martin - .183