After a really tough series in the conference opener against LSU, in which Auburn got swept in three one-run games, the Tigers rebounded in a big way in the first home SEC series of the season against Alabama to improve to 27-6 overall on the season.
Auburn notched two wins over Southern Miss on the trip home from Baton Rouge and then had a few days off before the Tide came to town. The Tigers were 25-5 heading into the weekend, but 0-3 in the SEC after the close losses to LSU.
Unfortunately, Friday was more of the same.
Alexis Osorio shut down the Tiger bats, allowing just one hit in a complete game shutout as Alabama won the opener 2-0 to put Auburn at 0-4 in the SEC. Kaylee Carlson allowed seven hits in a complete game, but took the loss, which was her first of the season.
However, Saturday and Sunday were much more enjoyable for the home fans in Auburn.
Auburn built a 3-0 lead before allowing a single run to the Tide in the final inning, but they ended up with the 3-1 victory for their first SEC win of the season. Makayla Martin got the start and pitched a complete game gem, allowing just four hits and a single run.
Then on Sunday, the drama hit a fever pitch. We’ll let the highlights speak for themselves.
What a way to finish up the series and take it with two wins against Alabama! Auburn got another great performance from Kaylee Carlson with a complete game, three-hit performance, out-dueling Courtney Gettins. The Tigers will play a home game tomorrow against Alabama State at 6 pm CST before welcoming Kentucky to the Plains this weekend for a three-game set. The Wildcats got swept by Florida in their first SEC series, then took two games from LSU in Lexington.
Here are your stat leaders after two weekends of conference play:
- BATTING AVERAGE - Victoria Draper - .448
- HITS - Victoria Draper - 39
- RUNS - Victoria Draper - 30
- DOUBLES - Alyssa Rivera/Justus Perry - 8
- TRIPLES - Taylon Snow - 3
- HOME RUNS - Kendall Veach/Casey McCrackin - 5
- WALKS - Morgan Podany - 22
- STOLEN BASES - Victoria Draper - 32 (just one off the Auburn record)
And your pitching leaders as well:
- WINS - Kaylee Carlson - 13
- COMPLETE GAMES - Kaylee Carlson - 6
- ERA - Kaylee Carlson - 0.70
- STRIKEOUTS - Kaylee Carlson - 80
- OPPONENT BATTING AVERAGE - Makayla Martin - .180