Auburn faced the cold of Columbia, Missouri and the cold sting of two agonizing defeats in the span of a few hours on Saturday afternoon.
After taking the midweek off, the Tigers were heading into a series with one of the teams near the floor of the SEC standings in the Missouri Tigers. Mizzou had won just four games in the league coming into Friday night, and with a fairly easy stretch for Auburn through the final weekends of conference play, this should’ve been a relatively easy series win.
Things don’t always go as planned.
On Friday night, Auburn cruised out to a 3-0 lead on a Tannon Snow homer before a rain delay caused the game to be postponed until the next afternoon. Upon resumption, Kendall Veach bombed a solo shot, and Auburn led 4-0 heading into the 6th inning. Missouri notched one run in the 6th before tying the game on a 3-run homer in the 7th, which was followed by a solo walk-off shot right after that. Missouri took game one, 5-4.
Shortly after the completion of the first game, game two began, and Makayla Martin quickly allowed two runs and was relieved in the second innning. Missouri used the long ball again to build a 5-1 lead and they cruised in the end for the victory and the series win.
The wind played a factor in allowing the home runs to leave the park, but Auburn’s offense still couldn’t muster anything after the postponement. Sunday’s game ended up being canceled altogether due to the cold temperatures, and Auburn went home after being swept in two games.
Here are the stat leaders after this weekend’s action:
- BATTING AVERAGE - Taylon Snow - .394
- HITS - Victoria Draper - 48
- RUNS - Victoria Draper - 36
- DOUBLES - Courtney Shea - 9
- TRIPLES - Taylon Snow - 3
- HOME RUNS - Casey McCrackin/Alyssa Rivera - 7
- WALKS - Casey McCrackin - 27
- STOLEN BASES - Victoria Draper - 37 (NEW Auburn record)
And your pitching leaders as well:
- WINS - Kaylee Carlson - 17 (63 career wins, Auburn record)
- COMPLETE GAMES - Kaylee Carlson - 11
- ERA - Kaylee Carlson - 0.87
- STRIKEOUTS - Kaylee Carlson - 100
OPPONENT BATTING AVERAGE - Makayla Martin - .193