With just under 2:30 to go in the game, Auburn got the ball back tied 19-19 with the Oregon Ducks in the 2011 BCS National Championship Game. Auburn needed to not only march down the field and kick a field goal to capture their 2nd national championship but needed to eat as much clock as possible so as not to give that potent Duck offense the ball one more time. Obviously the easiest way to do that would be to quickly move into scoring position and then bleed the clock dry before kicking the field goal.
“Duly noted” - Michael Dyer probably...
Auburn opened the drive with a 15 yard pass to Emory Blake. What followed was one of the wildest plays of an insanely wild Auburn football season.
Play to the whistle gentlemen.
Dyer’s TOTALLY LEGAL AND DEFINITELY NOT DOWN 37 yard run put the Tigers in field goal range with plenty of time left on the clock. We will talk about the following plays along with the title game overall in a later post. Instead, here are the top articles that come up when you search “Mike Dyer was down” on Google. Enjoy.
- Business Insider - “Michael Dyer Was Down”
- Pro Football Spot - “DYER WAS DOWN!“
- Bleacher Report - “Dyer Situation: Michael Dyer’s Miracle Run Should Not Have Counted“
- Deadspin - “Here Are Two Photos Of Michael Dyer Maybe Being Down”
- SBNation - “VIDEO: Auburn RB Michael Dyer’s Wrist Was Down, But Does That Matter?“
- Reddit - “Michael Dyer Was Down“
- Speaking - Deesha Dyer (this has nothing to do with Mike Dyer’s run)
- NESN - Auburn’s Michael Dyer’s Wrist Was Down on Title-Clinching 37-Yard Run
“Throughout this year, ain’t nobody feel sorry for Auburn, and we got the last laugh.” — Cam Newton, on Auburn’s national title
Oh and some of us aren’t fully convinced Dyer didn’t score on the very next play...
37 days till kickoff! War Eagle!