Auburn football is almost here. That means it’s #DepthChart season and today the Tigers released the official depth chart for Saturday’s season opener.
Some quick thoughts:
- WOW at punter! Most people (myself included) thought Gus was being Gus calling punter position a battle. Turns out it truly was and that Aidan Marshall did enough to win the job. Props to Marshall for stepping up and proving everybody wrong. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if both got action early in the season
- Two other surprises to me are Sal Cannella being listed as a starter and JaTarvious Whitlow one of the top kick returners. Cannella has a lot to prove after struggling with drops last season but if he truly has turned the corner will give Auburn a unique weapon on the perimeter. Also, it’s clear Auburn is doing all they can to find ways to get Boobee the football.
- Fourteen freshmen (well 13 but I am counting Newkirk in this group) are listed in the two deep. This 2018 class is going to have an early impact.
- Interesting Auburn only lists two players at running back.
- Harold Joiner listed at H-Back is something to watch. Unique skillset
- I would love to see Jaunta’vius Johnson finally crack the rotation. He’s battled through a bunch of injuries so cool to see him listed on the two deep.
- Not surprised Ryan Davis was given the nod at punt returner. Although I think Christian Tutt and Matthew Hill have bright futures back there, Gus ain’t trusting that job to a true freshman out the gate.
I am interested to hear what your thoughts are after giving this depth chart a once over. Let us know in the comments below
Game day is just a few short days away! War Eagle!