It was a big bounce back week for Auburn commits. Every single prospect that played went home with a W which is always fun to see. There were some HUGE performances none though bigger than the one by Auburn’s lowest ranked commit Ja’Varrius Johnson. He continues to show he’s one of the most overlooked prospects in the southeast.
5* LB Owen Pappoe (Grayson, 2-1) - Grayson got back on the winning side this past weekend against a very talented but struggling Marietta squad. The Rams raced out to a 35-0 lead and then almost somehow lost the game but escaped with a 38-31 victory. Owen Pappoe did Owen Pappoe things like blocking a punt, making 8 tackles and scoring on a 2 yard touchdown. According to AuburnSports.com, Pappoe has 18 tackles and 2 TFL in the past two games. He and KJ Britt together could make for a fun pair next season.
Next Week: Westlake (2-1)
- 4* WR George Pickens (Hoover, 2-1) - Another bounce back game for a big time program as the Hoover Bucs took it to fellow instate powerhouse Thompson 45-26. Pickens had another solid outing with 5 catches for 87 yards and a touchdown. He was also on campus for Auburn’s victory over Alabama State and is expected back this weekend for the LSU game. He’ll face off against fellow WR commit Ja’Varrius Johnson this week.
Next Week: Hewitt-Trussville (2-1)
- 4* QB Bo Nix (Pinson Valley, 2-1) - It’s been a bit of a slow start for Nix but that changed this past weekend. Auburn’s 2019 QB commit threw for 300 yards on 17 of 29 passing attempts and tossed five touchdowns. Those are the type of numbers we are used to seeing from Nix. Big game this weekend vs Clay-Chalkville who is lead by Alabama commit 4* DT DJ Dale.
Next Week: Clay-Chalkville (3-0)
- 4* CB Zion Puckett (Spalding, 2-2) - Noticing a theme here? Spalding bounced back from last week’s loss knocking off Henry County 35-16. Puckett was all over the place with 6 tackles, an interception and 3 carries for 31 yards and a touchdown. According to AuburnUndercover, on the year Puckett now has 19 tackles, 83 receiving yards, 46 rushing yards, an interception and a touchdown. Not bad at all. I got a really good feeling this kid is going to be Auburn’s next shut down cornerback.
Next Week: Fayette County (0-3)
- 4* DL Jaren Handy (Hattiesburg, 4-0) - This Hattiesburg squad continues to roll through it’s schedule this time smacking Oak Grove 51-19. Handy continued his outstanding senior campaign with 8 tackles and 2 TFL. Handy will probably take some visits but for now appears solid to the Tigers. Auburn needs impact players on the DL next season and Handy knows it.
Next Week: Gautier (3-1)
- 4* OG Keiondre Jones (Callaway, 3-0) - This was basically a tune up game for Callaway before the big showdown with Troup County this weekend. Jones and the Cavaliers blanked Cross Keys 50-0. Jones will face off against former Auburn 2020 DL commit Andy Boykin this Friday in what should be a must watch showdown.
Next Week: Troup County (3-0)
- 4* ATH Jashawn Sheffield (Frederica Academy, 2-2) - It was a slow start for the Knights this season but it appears they are starting to figure things out. Frederica Academy scored 60 points for the 2nd straight week knocking off Bethlehem Christian Acadmey 60-21. Strong performance from Sheffield who according to AuburnUndercover, rushed for 21 yards and a touchdown on 7 carries while also snagging 6 passes for 65 yards and another touchdown. He also apparently held the opponent’s #1 WR without a catch. Sheffield has all the tools to be an outstanding safety for the Tigers in the very near future.
Next Week: Augusta Prep Day (0-3)
- 4* DB Cam’Ron Kelly (Oscar Smith, 2-0) - Kelly continued his strong start this past weekend leading his Tigers squad to a 47-0 win over Great Bridge. The talented athlete went 7-13 through the air for 160 yards and a touchdown. He also carried the ball four times for 46 yards and a touchdown. Auburn will start him out at cornerback but he’s got the skillset to make an elite safety.
Next Week: Grassfield (0-2)
- 4* CB Jaylin Simpson (Frederica Academy, 2-2) - Simpson will miss a few weeks due to a foot injury and did not play this past weekend.
Next Week: Augusta Prep Day (0-3)
- 4* TE Tyler Fromm (Warner Robins, 3-0) - Fromm is still sidelined with an injury but his Warner Robins Demons stayed undefeated with a 49-14 win over Baldwin. They will face one of the top teams in GA this week in Colquitt County.
Next Week: Colquitt County (4-0)
- 3* OT Justin Osborne (IMG, 3-0) - IMG just keeps winning, this time defeating Liberty out of Nevada 35-0. They face a very good St. John’s program (knocked off Hoover two weeks ago) this Saturday.
Next Week: St. John’s (3-0)
3* TE Luke Deal (Emerald, 0-3) - Mercifully, Emerald had a buy this past weekend. They will return to action this Friday against Strom Thrumond. Deal hasn’t had a chance to put up many gaudy numbers but you watch this kid block and you can see a path to playing time as freshman next season.
Next Week: Strom Thurmond (3-1)
3* DE Colby Wooden (Archer, 2-1) - The Tigers took down Mill Creek 42-0. Wooden was a terror recording 9 tackles, 3 TFL & a sack. This is a guy that Rodney Garner is extremely high on. Highly recommend checking out his highlights from this past weekend.
Next Week: Norcross (1-2)
- 3* DL Jamond Gordon (Meridian, 2-2) - Meridian hung on to win a battle with Noxubee County 26-23. No stats were available on Gordon. He was on campus to watch Ole Miss’s wild win over Southern Illinois this past weekend according to Keith Niebuhr. I suspect he’s still solid to the Tigers but definitely something to keep an eye on moving forward.
Next Week: Jim Hill (1-3)
- 3* WR Ja’Varrius Johnson (Hewitt-Trussville, 2-1) - It’s getting downright ridiculous the numbers Johnson is putting up each week. This past Saturday, in a wild shootout victory over Oak Mountain, Johnson caught 9 passes for 243 yards and 2 touchdowns. His combination of quickness, hands and route running is going to make him a menace out of the slot for the Tigers. We will see if he can keep up his torrid pace against one of the best defenses in the state of Alabama this weekend in the Hoover Bucs.
Next Week: Hoover (2-1)
2020 4* WR Kobe Hudson (Troup County, 3-0) - Another week, another multi TD game for Hudson. This time around he threw three touchdowns and rushed for another. Adding him, Johnson & Pickens to what Auburn signed in 2018 over the next two seasons is gonna be wild. HUGE game this weekend against Callaway.
Next Week: Callaway (3-0)
2020 4* LB Demouy Kennedy (Theodore, 2-1) - Easy win this past weekend for the Bobcats as they smashed Foley 51-0. Kennedy’s stats weren’t available. He was expected to be at Alabama’s matchup with Arkansas State this past weekend but I have not seen it confirmed if he made it up or not.
Next Week: Fairhope (2-1)
- 2020 4* Buck Quandarrius Robinson (Jackson-Olin, 3-0) - Robinson continues his bid as one of the most dominant up and coming defenders in the state of Alabama in the 2020 class. His Mustangs squad defeated Minor 30-15 and the Auburn commit tallied 8 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 sacks and 5 quarterback hurries according to AuburnSports.com. Robinson is a perfect fit for Auburn’s Buck position.
Next Week: Chelsea (0-3)
- 2020 3* DT Damarjhe Lewis (Griffin, 2-1) - There were no stats available on Lewis but his Griffin Bears defeated Newnan 26-17 to move to 2-1 on the season. He will take on UGA 5* DT commit Travon Walker this week.
Next Week: Upson Lee (2-2)