Sadly, this list is two names shorter this week and quite a few Tiger commits took an L. However, there were some pretty strong performances among this group too. Here’s a look at how Auburn’s 2019 and 2020 commits performed last weekend.
- 5* LB Owen Pappoe (Grayson, 1-1) - The Rams’ rally came too late to make a difference. Grayson was stunned by visiting Bergen Catholic out of New Jersey 34-22. Heading into the 4th quarter, Grayson found themselves down 27-3. They tried to put together a late comeback but a devastating 7 play 80 yard TD drive ended all hope. Turnovers plagued the Rams as they fumbled FIVE times, losing three of them and had a punt blocked for a touchdown. Despite that disappointing result, Owen Pappoe was reportedly outstanding. Rivals has some video analysis on Pappoe’s performance. They also had this nice writeup.
The five-star Auburn commit was all over the field, making a number of tackles and showing great sideline-to-sideline speed. Pappoe’s non-stop motor combined with his football IQ means he’s always around the ball and usually the first guy to meet the ball carrier. It was a long night for Grayson but Pappoe’s performance had nothing to do with that. The biggest knock on Pappoe has been his size, but he continues to dispel those concerns with excellent play. Pappoe remains solidly committed to the Tigers but may visit other programs this fall.
Next Week: Marietta (1-2)
- 4* WR George Pickens (Hoover, 1-1) - After thumping Pinson Valley on ESPN to open the season, the Bucs got a thumping of their own when Mid-Atlantic powerhouse St. John’s came to town losing 49-14. The game had to be moved to Saturday due to inclement weather which is why Pickens was not able to attend Auburn’s season opener against Washington. He had a strong first half in the loss catching seven passes for 119 yards. However, he did not have a single reception in the 2nd half. Doesn’t get any easier this weekend as the Bucs face a loaded Thompson squad. This is probably the game of the week in the state of Alabama.
Next Week: Thompson (2-0)
- 4* QB Bo Nix (Pinson Valley, 1-1) - It wasn’t pretty but the Indians bounced back and got their first win of the season in a 41-12 victory over Ramsay in a heavy rainstorm. Nix’s numbers were not pretty at all as he only completed 10 passes on 22 attempts for 100 yards 2 touchdowns and a pick. The weather no doubt played a big role in Nix’s performance but he’s definitely not gotten off to the strongest of starts in 2018. We will see if he can start putting up those video game numbers again this weekend.
Next Week: Shades Valley (0-1)
- 4* CB Zion Puckett (Spalding, 1-2) - No miraculous comeback this week for the Jaguars. Puckett’s squad fell 24-10 in their home opener vs Oconee County. Could not find any official stats online but judging from his highlight tape he had at least 2 receptions and 3 tackles.
Next Week: Oconee County (1-1)
- 4* DL Jaren Handy (Hattiesburg, 3-0) - Hattiesburg keeps rolling as they captured their third straight victory to open the season. Handy’s team defeated Moss Point 48-13. Handy had 3 tackles and 2 sacks as he continues to be a disruptive force up front. He will have a chance to make an immediate impact in 2019.
Next Week: Oak Grove (3-0)
- 4* OG Keiondre Jones (Callaway, 2-0) - The Cavaliers won a defensive struggle over LaGrange 14-0. Jones helped open up enough running room for Tank Bigsby to reach the century mark once again.
Next Week: Cross Keys (0-3)
- 4* ATH Jashawn Sheffield (Frederica Academy, 1-2) - Frederica Academy captured their first victory of the 2018 season in a wild 60-40 win over Lanier County. No stats available for Sheffield.
Next Week: Bethlehem Christian Academy (2-1)
- 4* DB Cam’Ron Kelly (Oscar Smith, 1-0) - Kelly returns to action this weekend against a solid Great Bridge squad.
Next Week: Great Bridge (1-1)
- 4* CB Jaylin Simpson (Frederica Academy, 1-2) - Simpson will miss a few weeks due to a foot injury and did not play last weekend.
Next Week: Bethlehem Christian Academy (2-1)
- 4* TE Tyler Fromm (Warner Robins, 2-0) - I missed that the Baldwin game is this weekend not last weekend. Warner Robins was off this past weekend. Fromm should soon be returning to action.
Next Week: Baldwin (0-3)
- 3* OT Justin Osborne (IMG, 2-0) - Make that 39 straight wins for IMG as the Ascenders trounced Miami-Norland 49-14. It’s hard to say much about how Osborne has done since I haven’t been able to find much tape on his games. Excited to see how he’s developed since transferring to the collegiate football factory.
Next Week: Liberty (1-1)
- 3* TE Luke Deal (Emerald, 0-3) - Whew... It’s been rough for Emerald so far this season and it got rougher this past weekend. Facing powerhouse Abbeville, the Vikings stood strong for about a quarter before it all fell apart losing 52-17. I kid you not, Emerald only completed one pass on nine attempts. Just a rough three weeks for Deal’s squad. Deal did apparently record a sack on defense.
Next Week: Strom Thurmond (2-1)
- 3* DE Colby Wooden (Archer, 1-1) - Archer bounced back from their disappointing opening season loss with a 51-17 whooping of Spartanburg. No official stats on Wooden anywhere but it looks like he got one TFL at least.
Next Week: Spartanburg (1-1)
- 3* DL Jamond Gordon (Meridian, 1-2) - This was a tough contest for Meridian facing a very talented Central-Phenix squad and it showed in the final result. The Wildcats fell to the Red Devils 49-10. No stats were available on Gordon.
Next Week: Noxubee County (2-1)
- 3* WR Ja’Varrius Johnson (Hewitt-Trussville, 1-1) - Johnson’s fantastic start continued this past weekend as he snagged 5 catches for 98 yards and two touchdowns. He also started the game with a kick return for a touchdown as Hewitt-Trussville out dueled West Forsyth 38-30. Johnson continues to show he is one of the most underrated prospects in the southeast this cycle.
ICYMI- @varjohnson1 was one of many who had led @HuskyFast to victory on Friday night at West Forsyth @jbeanpoll pic.twitter.com/W635ZEtW59— Husky Fast Network (@HuskyFastNet) September 2, 2018
Next Week: Oak Mountain (1-0)
- 2020 4* WR Kobe Hudson (Troup County, 2-0) - Once again, Kobe Hudson was a problem for the opposing defense. Auburn’s top ranked 2020 commit scored four touchdowns in a 47-13 win over Columbus. Hudson was 8-14 through the air for 196 yards and two touchdowns. He also added two rushing touchdowns on four carries. Dude is going to be fun to watch in an Auburn uniform. Even though his teammate Andy Boykin decommitted recently, Hudson is still very much locked in with the Tigers. He will be one of the leaders of the 2020 class.
Next Week: Harris County (0-3)
- 2020 4* LB Demouy Kennedy (Theodore, 1-1) - Big bounce back game for the Bobcats. Theodore shutout Baker 24-0 to get their first W of the season. Kennedy made his way into the updated 2020 Rivals Top 100 last week as well. Travis Williams seems well on track to keeping that linebacker room flush with talent.
Next Week: Foley (0-2)
- 2020 4* Buck Quandarrius Robinson (Jackson-Olin, 2-0) - This Mustangs defense is nasty and proved it again this past weekend knocking off Shades Valley 30-7. Robinson had 8 tackles helping lead his defense to holding Shades Valley to under 60 yards on the night. Robinson’s stock is only going to continue to rise over the coming months.
Next Week: Minor (0-2)
- 2020 3* DT Damarjhe Lewis (Griffin, 1-1) - Griffin was off this past week but return to action against this evening vs Newnan.
Next Week: Newnan (2-1)