clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Auburn Creeps Up Again to #7 in FanPulse

New, 9 comments

After knocking off Aggy on Saturday, Auburn has solidified itself as bonafide top 10.

Samford v Auburn Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images

Another week, another win. Auburn knocked off Texas A&M Saturday in a game where Auburn jumped out to an early lead and tried to keep the Aggies at arms length. This impressed national viewers enough that Auburn crept up into Notre Dame’s vacated #7 spot. The top six seem to be impenetrable right now, as Auburn was the only school currently ranked outside the top 6 to receive any top 6 votes. Thanks Red Cup Rebellion (Ole Miss) and Smoking Musket (West Virginia)!

In fact, Auburn is the most agreed upon school sans Clemson as the #1 team. With three votes at #6 (including our own) and three votes at #8, every other ballot ranked the Tigers at #7. So much for Chaos Auburn (for now). While the best win of the year still belongs to LSU over #10 Texas, Auburn has the best two wins of the season, with wins over #13 Oregon and #16 Texas A&M.

As steady as the top of the rankings were, there were some wild swings lower in the rankings. Previous #7 Notre Dame fell to #11, Utah fell from #9 to #14, Michigan tumbled 7 spots from #11 to #18, and UCF fell just as far from #15 to #22. The Michigan ranking is particularly amusing, as Maize n Brew, the Michigan team site, dropped them all the way to #22 after the blowout against Wisconsin. Block U, the Utah team site, was the same with the Utes, dropping themselves to #18, they’re lowest ranking on any ballot. Safe to say they’re taking it hard.

As always, rivalries abound. The following team sites had their rivals ranked lower than any other team site ballot: Our Daily Bears (Baylor) had Texas A&M at #23, Tomahwak Nation (FSU) had Florida at #12, From the Rumble Seat (Georgia Tech) had UGA at #6, Cardiac Hill (Pitt) had Penn State at #13, Burnt Orange Nation (Texas) had Texas A&M at #23, and Good Bull Hunting (TAMU) had Texas at #13. Why can’t you quit each other, Horns and Aggies?

Week 4 FanPulse

Rank Team Last Week Low High College and Mag
Rank Team Last Week Low High College and Mag
1 Clemson 1 2 1 1
2 Alabama 2 4 1 3
3 Georgia 3 6 2 4
4 LSU 4 5 2 2
5 Oklahoma 5 6 3 5
6 Ohio State 6 7 4 7
7 Auburn 8 8 6 6
8 Wisconsin 13 11 7 8
9 Florida 10 12 8 9
10 Texas 12 13 8 10
11 Notre Dame 7 13 9 11
12 Penn State 14 13 10 12
13 Oregon 16 14 12 13
14 Utah 9 18 13 14
15 Iowa 18 18 13 15
16 Texas A&M 17 23 14 19
17 Michigan State 22 21 15 16
18 Michigan 11 23 15 18
19 Boise State 20 23 16 17
20 Washington 21 24 14 21
21 USC NR 24 18 20
22 UCF 15 25 19 22
23 Washington State 19 25 20 24
24 Virginia 23 25 16 23
25 Cal NR 25 20 25

There’s nothing too controversial on the College and Mag ballot. We pushed LSU up to #2, because LSU hanging 60+ on anyone is terrifying (even if their defense is questionable).

Freaking out over the Tulane game was really, dumb, wasn’t it. About 90% of you said after the Texas A&M game you were confident about the direction of the program, and I’ve got to ask what the other 10% think. Honestly, if you’re one of the folks who’s not confident, please write in the comments your reasoning. I would love to hear a rational reasoning to it, because most of the people who aren’t in favor of the leadership don’t have a valid reason why.

Also on your ballot this week, you were asked who the most overrated team in the top 25 is. Michigan won this one in a landslide, although I’m not sure if people were saying they were overrated based on their new rank (#20) in the AP Poll or based on last week’s rank.

As always, if you want to be a part of FanPulse, you can sign up here! Every week, you’ll get to submit your own personal top 25 ballot. Everyone who votes through College and Mag will have their ballot count towards an official College and Mag ballot, and SBNation combines all the team site ballots into the FanPulse Top 25.